National Income tax

The National Income tax is the most major tax imposed on individuals. The tax base is incomes gained by the respective taxpayers and the tax calculation is primarily settled by year. The calculation of several other taxes and dues in Japan, such as the Local income tax and the National Health Insurance plan, conform to the calculation of the National Income tax.

The residential status of the respective taxpayers, for the Japanese tax purpose, must be made clear first, and the scope of the taxation shall be determined depending on the residential status.

[In Japanese]
所得税は個人に課される税金のうちで最も主要なものです。その課税標準は、各人の所得の額であり、原則として暦年毎に税金計算が行われます。 住民税や国民健康保険料を含め、いくつかの租税公課の額の計算は、所得税の計算に準拠して行われます。


Residential Status / Categories of tax payers

People are treated equally in most of all aspects in Japanese taxation, no matter what nationality they have. Instead, Individuals are classified into the following categories according to their residential status;
1).Residents (居住者KYOJYU SHA)
 1.Permanent Residents (永住者EIJYU SHA)
 2.Non-Permanent Residents (非永住者HI EIJYU SHA)
2).Non-Residents (非居住者HI KYOJYU SHA)
"Permanent Residents" and "Non-Permanent Residents" are called generically "Residents".

Q1. How to distinguish between Residents and Non-Residents
In case you have a domicile in Japan and/or you have resided continuously in Japan for 1 year or longer, you are classified into the Residents. Otherwise, you are classified into the Non-Residents.

Provided you have a domicile in Japan, you are classified into the Residents just at the moment you get the domicile, without waiting for 1 year's passing. In case you are engaged in a job which generally needs you to stay in Japan for 1 year or longer, you are assumed to make up your domicile in Japan and classified into the Residents.

This rule works as follows about trainees of the Technical Intern Training for workers in developing countries. The initial term of the program is set shorter than 1 year. Therefore, trainees engaged in the initial term of the training program are generally supposed not to fall into the Residents. But, in case the trainees proceed or plan to proceed to the further stage, they are expected to stay in Japan longer than 1 year and be categorized into the Residents. In contrast, foreign people who come in Japan as the Specified Skilled Workers are mostly classified into the Residents, because they are expected to stay in Japan for longer than 1 year.

Q2. How to distinguish between Permanent Residents and Non-Permanent Residents
Provided you are a Resident, in case you meet any of the requirements below, you are classified into the Permanent Residents. Otherwise, you are classified into the Non-Permanent Residents.
1.You are a Japanese national.
2.You have a domicile or residence in Japan for an aggregate period of 5years or longer within the last 10 years.

[In Japanese]
日本における個人課税のあり方は、原則的には、その納税者の国籍によって変わるところはありません。 その代わり、日本における居住区分により、次の類型に区分されます。

Q1. 居住者と非居住者との区分
日本に住所(本拠)を置いているか、あるいは、引き続き1年以上、日本に居住している場合には、貴方は居住者に該当します。 そうでない場合には、非居住者に該当します。

日本の住所を有する場合には、1年の経過を待つことなく、その有することとなった日から居住者に該当します。 通常1年以上の滞在を要する仕事に就いている場合などは、居住者であるものと推定されます。技能実習制度により来日した実習生なども、居住者に区分されることがあります。 技能実習第1号の場合は、在留期間が1年未満とされていることから、第1号技能実習生は非居住者となることが多いでしょう。 しかし、実習生が第2号、第3号と進んだ場合や進むことを予定している場合には、日本での滞在期間が1年超となることが見込まれ、居住者に該当することとなります。 特定技能1号の資格で滞在する場合についても、居住者に該当することが多いはずです。多くの特定技能1号の該当者は、1年超の在留期間となっているためです。

Q2. 永住者と非永住者との区分
貴方が居住者であるとして、次の要件のうち、いずれか、あるいは、双方を満たす場合には、貴方は永住者に該当します。 いずれも満たさない場合には、非永住者に該当します。
1. 日本国籍を有している。
2. その住所(本拠)または居所を、過去10年間のうち5年以上、日本に有している。

Taxable Scope of Japanese Income tax

In accordance with your residential status mentioned above, the taxable scope varies. This table shows the taxable scope for taxpayers of each category.

Taxable scope of Japanese Income tax for Permanent Residents

Classification of incomes Taxable scope
Incomes derived from sources in Japan Taxable
Incomes derived from sources abroad Taxable

Taxable scope of Japanese Income tax for Non-Permanent Residents

Classification of incomes Taxable scope
Incomes derived from sources in Japan Taxable
Incomes derived from sources abroad Nontaxable

Exceptionally taxable in case the incomes are received in Japan or transferred in Japan within the relevant year.

Taxable scope of Japanese income tax for Non-Residents

classification of incomes taxable scope
Incomes derived from sources in Japan Taxable, in principle
Incomes derived from sources abroad Nontaxable

As for the Permanent Residents for Japanese tax purpose, the Japanese Income tax is levied on taxable incomes brought up all over the world. In regard to this point, the Automatic Information Exchange by the Common Reporting Standards is a powerful measure to grasp world-wide revenues. The Common Reporting Standards has been lately implemented along with an agenda proposed by the OECD. The Tax Agencies of many major countries/areas has started to cooperate multilaterally against international tax fraud and exchange designated types of data about financial transactions made under their jurisdiction. Therefore, you have to be careful not to omit any revenues at the tax filing.

[In Japanese]


課税所得の分類 課税上の取扱い
国内源泉所得 課税対象となる
国外源泉所得 課税対象となる


課税所得の分類 課税上の取扱い
国内源泉所得 課税対象となる
国外源泉所得 課税対象とならない



課税所得の分類 課税上の取扱い
国内源泉所得 原則として、課税対象となる
国外源泉所得 課税対象とならない

この表が示している通り、永住者については、全世界すべての所得に日本の所得税が課されます。 この点について、共通報告基準(CRS)に基づく自動的情報交換は、課税庁が国外所得を把握するための強力な手段となっています。 これは、近年においてOECDの提言に沿って導入されたものです。 多数の主要な国/地域の課税庁は、その管轄下で外国人によって行われた金融取引に係る指定された種類の情報について、 多国間での交換を行い始めました。国際的な脱税を防止するための協力として行っているわけです。 確定申告の際には、申告漏れを起こさないよう、注意しましょう。

Tax Convention

The preceding paragraph is described simply based on the Japanese laws and Ordinances. But actually, we need to take Tax Conventions into consideration. Japan concludes the tax conventions with many countries. These conventions do not increase your Japanese tax burden except for very few cases. Instead, the Japanese tax burden may decrease by the conventions, particularly as to the Non-residents.

Some tax conventions make certain types of incomes gotten by some kinds of people tax-free, notwithstanding the rules of the Japanese income tax law. For example, those who are from China and stay in Japan solely for the purpose of study shall not be required to pay income tax on his/her earnings received for the purpose of his/her livelihood or education. It is due to article 21 of the tax treaty between Japan and China. University students from China, whose employment earnings amount is not larger than their living cost, are exempt from paying income tax. The tax treaty between Japan and Korea has a similar rule under some additional requirements.

However, very few people know well about tax conventions and the application procedures related to them. For example, the students from foreign countries mentioned above are supposed to submit a designated form, "Application form for income tax conventions (Form 8)" to the tax offices via their employers. But many employers may not know them accurately. Therefore, even if you are eligible to a preferential treatment by a tax treaty, it is not easy to really apply for the treatment. It is almost impossible to make necessary arrangement by yourself, unless you are very good at Japanese and with a lot of knowledge about international taxation. If you are interested in special measures provided in tax treaties, I recommend consulting with a CPTA, who is familiar to international taxation.

[In Japanese]
前章の内容は、日本の所得税法に沿って記述されていますが、実際には、租税条約についても考慮に入れる必要があります。 日本は、多くの国と租税条約を結んでいます。租税条約は、ごくわずかな例外を除き、貴方の日本での税負担を増大させることはありません。特に、非居住者については、日本の税負担を圧縮させることにつながるものです。

租税条約には、日本の所得税法の規定にかかわらず、一定の人々が得た一定の所得を非課税としているものもあります。 たとえば、日中租税条約第21条により、中国から日本に修学のために来た人は、その生活費や勉強のために得た収入について所得税を課せられないこととしています。 つまり、中国からの留学生が給料を受け取った場合でも、生活費に充てる程度の金額であれば、所得税の納税義務がないこととされているのです。 日本と韓国との租税条約にも、いくつかの追加要件の下に、同様の規定がおかれています。

租税条約やその適用の為の手続きについて良く知っている雇い主はほとんど居ません。たとえば、前述の留学生は、指定された書式の届出書を、その雇い主を通じて税務署に提出することとされていますが、多くの雇い主はそのことを理解していません。そのため、貴方が租税条約により納税義務を免除されていたとしても、実際にその適用をうけることは容易ではありません。 貴方が、よほど日本語が上手で、かつ税金に詳しい場合を別として、貴方がみずから手続きをすることは、ほとんど不可能であるといえましょう。 もし、貴方が租税条約の特典に興味があるのであれば、国際税務に詳しい税理士に、聞きたいポイントを絞って相談をすることをお勧めします。